3.07.2012

Kara's DIY Bleach Design T-Shirt

I'd seen them around on Pinterest. DIY bleach designed shirts. Most involved a shirt and a Clorox pen and some artist ability. It's my complete lack of artist ability that made me file this project away as a maybe another day project...until I saw a completely different project that inspired me. 

Sweet Verbena makes a Hunger Games t-shirt with an at home silk screening kit. I don't have one of those but I thought to myself, I BET I COULD DO THAT WITH BLEACH!?! 


Here's what you need:

A shirt (new or old, doesn't matter. I bought a brand new shirt at Target for $5 for this project)

Your image that you want to put on the shirt

An exacto knife (scissors will work depending on your design)

An empty spray bottle

Bleach

Pins 

A computer and printer

Cardstock



Steps:

1. Find your design and print it out on cardstock. Here was my design. 



2. Using your scissors or exacto knife, cut out your design to make your stencil. I made two shirts and did it two different ways. I cut a negative image once and a positive image once. 



3. Figure out where on the shirt you want your stencil to go. Once you've decided, use your pins and pin it down. 



4. Fill up your spray bottle with a little bit of bleach, it doesn't take much. Mist over your design. You don't spray directly onto the design. I sprayed above the design and let the bleach "fall" onto the shirt. If that makes sense? I didn't take pictures of that step. 

5. ** This is important** As soon as you finish spraying and start to see the bleach working, remove your stencil. If not, the bleach will seep through the cardstock and you won't get as clear of an image. Trust me! 

6. Rinse your shirt in the sink with some warm water. 

7. I don't know if this is a must but I tossed my shirts in the washer by themselves on the delicate cycle. 

8. Dry normally and wear them like the rock star you are! 





Enjoy! There are a million possibilities! My husband has already requested I make him one! (Not Hunger Games though!) 

Happy Pinning and Crafting! 

-Kara

1 comment: