3.14.2012

Jenn P.'s Easy-Access Measuring Spoon Organizer


Organization for Measuring Spoons & Cups:

I can never seem to find the right size of measuring spoon or cup that I need for a recipe!  And my measuring spoons and connected on a key-ring-like thing, so they always seem to be in the dishwasher.  I saw this project on Pinterest & just had to do it in my kitchen!  The original is much prettier as they painted the sticks and used new and cute measuring cups/spoons.  But mine works just as well. 
All you need is some paint sticks (free at Lowe's & Home Depot) and some screw hooks.  I also used a label maker and some Command mounting strips. 



I measured the inside width of my cabinet and (had the husband) cut the paint stick to size.  If you want you can paint the stick to match your decor.  I just used the plain side (without the "Home Depot" stamp) without painting it.  I spaced out my measuring spoons and screwed in the hooks at the appropriate places.  The wood is soft, so the hooks went in easily by hand.  Then I used my label maker to print out labels of the sizes of each spoon.  I had two sets of spoons, so I just did one label for every two spoons, because they were the same size.  If you don't have a label maker, you could use stickers or even write the sizes on the wood with a Sharpie marker. 
Make sure to check that your new storage will not interfere with whatever you keep in that cabinet.  You want to have it in between cabinet shelves, or it may not fit right, causing your cabinet door to not fully close.  I used "Command mounting strips" to adhere it to my cabinet.  I'm sure you could use glue or nails, but be sure not to nail through to the other side of the cabinet. 

Then repeat the process with another paint stick for your measuring cups.  I haven't gotten to this part yet, mainly because I need bigger hooks for my measuring cups & haven't gotten them yet. 
This has made finding my measuring spoons much easier, but it can be a bit noisy.  We use that cabinet a lot and my metal spoons bump into each other and the cabinet door when we open and close the cabinet.  The harder we open or close the door, the more noise it makes.  It was a bit alarming at first, but I think we're getting used to it now.  I'm going to try to figure a way to quiet it, maybe use string to tie down the spoons or some padding between the door and the spoons.  But you may be better off using a cabinet door that you don't open very often; and certainly don't use a cabinet that the kids get into. 
Good Luck & Have Fun

-Jenn P. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment