3.20.2012

Jenn P.'s Yarn and Felt Wreath




There are tons of these yarn wreaths and felt flowers on Pinterest!  I just love them!  I didn't use any particular instructions, but just did my own thing, as it's pretty simple...
 
You need: 
    wreath form (I used a straw wreath, leaving the plastic cover on)
    yarn
    felt
    ribbon
    glue gun
    scissors
    
 
First, wrap yarn around your wreath until it is completely covered.  Use a glue gun to glue the starting end to the back of your wreath.  You can continuing gluing yarn to the back as necessary.  It should stay in place for the most part, but use the glue if you want.  This takes a little while and may wear out your arm.  Some yarn will need to overlap and that's okay.  It won't be perfect, but that is part of the charm.  Just make sure that you cover it all, not leaving any bald spots.  Glue down the end of your yard to the back of the wreath.


Next, I used a contrasting color of yarn to make my diamond pattern.  Again start by gluing the end to the back of the wreath.  Wrap the yarn around the wreath leaving big gaps in between.  When you get all the way around the wreath, secure the end with glue and change direction of your wrapping.  This should be self-explanatory with the picture.  Secure with glue when finished. 
 
 

It's already pretty, right?!  But I wanted to add some felt flowers.  There are tons of variations on making felt flowers.  If you search on Google or Pinterest, you will find about a hundred different types of felt or paper flowers with tutorials!  I didn't want to spend a ton of time on mine, so I went with a pretty easy design.  Cut a circle out of felt (the larger the circle, the larger your flower).  Then cut a wavy spiral in your circle.  This should leave you with a long wavy and somewhat curly piece of felt with a small circle left on the end.  Starting at the other (non-circle) end, begin tightly curling the felt around itself.  Try to keep one side fairly even as this will be the back of your flower and creates more wavy "petals" on the other side.  When you reach the end circle, glue this to the flat back of your flower.  Fortunately, felt kinda sticks to itself, so this doesn't unravel easily, making it easier to play with until you get it perfect. 
 

Note:  The wider your wavy felt is = the taller your flower will be.  The more wavy = more dimension in your petals.  Less wavy = flatter flower.  It's all easier than it sounds.  I had never done this before, but I had it down after the second flower!  Easy peasy! 
 

Make flowers in as many colors and sizes as you like and glue them on your wreath.  You can get really creative with this!  I've seen wreaths fully covered with flowers, but I just used a few for my first time. :)  FYI - I kept my flowers mostly flat (less wavy), just because I wanted that look for my wreath.
Finally, tie a ribbon around the top and hang your wreath!  Enjoy!







-Jenn P.  :)

1 comment: